07 Apr Great Ways to Enjoy a Healthier Home Environment
The average home contains a great number of unseen dangers, ranging from dust, chemicals and ordinary clutter to such silent and deadly gases like carbon monoxide and radon. Learning how to reduce these dangers is important for creating a healthier environment in your San Antonio home.
Here are some great ways for making your home a healthier space:
- Clean up the clutter. Not only is clutter a tripping hazard, but it can also house rodents and insects.
- Always change your air filters. Do this at least monthly to cut down on dust and other airborne pollution.
- Promote good ventilation throughout your home. Good ventilation is a great way to refresh your indoor air, remove toxic poisons and keep moisture levels safe. Even just opening a window or two can tremendously improve your home’s environment.
- Clear the air with air-purifying plants. Houseplants, like the dracaena and peace lily, not only purify, but also beautify your home.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarm regularly. In addition, be sure to change your batteries at least once a year.
- Test for and protect your home from radon. This naturally occurring gas can often seep through and accumulate in your basement. A vapor barrier can help block most radon gas, as well as keep moisture at bay.
- Think about testing your home for lead. If your home was built before 1978, it may very well contain lead paint. When renovating, consider using lead-safe work practices to limit the spread of dust.
- Be careful when using and storing household cleaners and pest control products. These products may contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that increase indoor air pollution. If you can’t avoid using these products, use them sparingly and keep them out of reach of children.
Contact the pros at Airtron Heating & Air Conditioning to learn more about creating a healthier home environment.