01 Dec Home Maintenance Methods to Keep Your HVAC System Happy
Residents of San Antonio live with drastically varying weather. Winters are cool, summers bring blistering heat, and autumn and spring swing from one extreme to the other. Review our home maintenance suggestions that will help keep your family comfortable all year long:
1. Gutters installed on your roof to collect rain and snow, redirecting water away from the foundation, preventing cracks. Every fall, gutters and spouts need to be cleaned, inspected and repaired. Tighten brackets so they can support the weight of snow without breaking.
2. A watertight roof protects your home and leaky roofs are known to cause expensive damage to the wiring, plumbing and furnace. Also include a roof inspection and repair in your annual home maintenance.
3. During your home’s annual HVAC service, ask the technician to inspect the outside of your home. Cracks in the exterior will increase heat expenses and cause icy drafts. Check along the window frames, doors and places where wiring and plumbing enter the home. Examine the foundation of your home for any cracks. Fissures let water drain into your basement, causing structural damage and ruining your possessions. The spaces need to be well caulked before winter.
4. The furnace and ductwork require annual servicing too. The HVAC technician can ensure that everything is running smoothly, saving you from expensive emergency calls in winter. Not only will the system operate better, cleaning out the ductwork will also improve the quality of indoor air. Dust and other debris accumulates while unused.
5. The air filters should be changed monthly. Fall visits from your HVAC company are a super time for a technician to change them for you and look around to make sure everything is working the way it should. If you have allergies in your family, consider buying a higher grade filter to keep your air as clean as possible.
Call us today at Airtron San Antonio and we’ll help you get your home ready for the winter!